Kim Bellavia is a sculptor inspired by the natural in the Finger Lakes Region of NY where she lives. A core Theme in her work is creating art as a practice to experience a sacred relationship with the natural world and to share her studio process with the community. Bellavia’s work depicts how nature and human nature weave themselves into the intrigue of life and the entropy of existence.
Her sculptures are constructed using a variety of materials such as clay, paper clay, cobb, and cement. Influenced by folklore, myth and symbolism of nature the forms in her work reveal the human aura of the natural environment expressing the connection between nature and human nature with an underlying theme of an awareness to environmental issues and topics such as conservation and preservation in the Finger Lakes Region.
Kim has received numerous community arts grants which have directly involved participants from the community to be involved in the process and outcome.
Grant Awards/Solo Exhibitions
- 2021: NYSCA Individual Artist Grant: "Feathers of Hope"
- 2020: NYSCA Individual Artist Grant: "Intimate Connections"
- 2017: Cornell University Botanic Gardens: "Whispering from the Woods"
- 2017: Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens: "Whispering from the Woods"
- 2016: NYSCA Individual Artist Grant: "The Language of Hands"
- 2015: NYSCA Individual Artist Grant: "Looking for the Green Man"
- 2014: NYSCA Individual Artist Grant: "Soul Vessels"
- 2012: NYSCA Individual Artist Grant: "Everyday Armor"
- 2011: NYSCA Individual Artist Grant: " Woodland Merry-Go Round Project"
- 2021: “Grimes Glen Goddess Fountain", Maxfield Inn Bed and Breakfast, Naples, New York
- 2021: "The Enchanted Forest" outdoor sculpture on the Auburn Trail, Cobblestone Arts Center, Farmington NY
- 2020: "Phoenix" outdoor garden sculpture, Cobblestone Arts Center, Farmington, New York
- 2016: Mural, Outdoor, 10' x 22' at the Cobblestone Theater Arts Center, Farmington, New York
- Original article published on MPNNOW.com
Group Exhibitions (selected)
- 2020: Curat10n, "Nature/Human Nature" - London, U.K., Virtual Exhibition
- 2019: Rochester Contemporary Art Center - Members Show, Rochester, New York
- 2016: NYFA Entrepreneur Boot Camp: Auburn Public Theatre, Auburn, New York
- 2016: Portfolio Review: Wave Hill Public Gardens and Cultural Center, Bronx, New York
- 2017: Retreat/Residency: January 2-7, Saltonstall Art Colony, Ithica, New York